Monday, December 8, 2008

What's in a name?

I've started to notice a trend.  No one can spell my name properly here.  Everyone substitutes the last "a" in my name with an "e".  At first I thought it was just the one person (from the UM Visa office), but then the International Relations Office started doing it and then now my group mates do it too.  I don't understand.  I'll be spelling out my name and somehow they don't hear the last "a" and instead the "e" shows up.  Or even when copying my name from an email (in a reply for example), the last "a" is changed again. 

Maybe its not common to have a name ending in an "a"?  I don't know.  I think I will investigate, but its really starting to get annoying.  I'm use to people mispronouncing my name but seriously, copying it or with me spelling it out and they still can't get it right?  Bah annoying!

**UPDATE**  So I asked one of my Dutch group mates, and apparently the letter "e" in Dutch is pronounced like the letter "a" in English.  So that explains why they can't spell it when I spell it out for them.  What about during the copying?

0 comments: