Monday, December 22, 2008

Last Post from Europe

So its the morning of December 23.  I'm sitting in the reception area of the hostel I'm staying at in Paris.  It is just before 7am local time and it is dark outside.  Why am I awake?  I have to catch a train in a hour back to Amsterdam before boarding my flight home.

In many ways I'm happy to be going home.  I miss Canada (despite it being covered under feets of snow right now) and home.  Sleeping in my own bed with my own private shower.  I miss the food, the familiarity and of course my family.  But also, in many ways I'm sad to be leaving.  I feel like I've barely seen the world and Europe (despite all my travels).  There is so much to see and do.  I feel like I haven't learned enough about Dutch culture and way of life. 

This last leg of my travels in Paris, I spent alone for 2 days and I met some amazing people in my hostel (more about this later). and I understand now why people like to backpack and travel by themselves. 

An so, in a couple hours I'll be heading home.  Can't wait to see the snow!

0 comments: