Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Countdown Begins

Today I ran into a friend from York on exchange here that I hadn't seen for a couple weeks and we got to talking.  He asked me when I was leaving and then it struck me: two weeks.

Two weeks today, I'm going to be boarding my flight home from Amsterdam.  In 9 days I'm going to be leaving Maastricht for a couple days in Paris before heading home.  Today I had my final tutorial ever at UM.  Only a group paper and an exam before I'll be finished with my classes.

While I've had my ups and downs, battling homesickness and language barriers, Maastricht and the way of life here has become natural.  It has really become my home for the past four months and I'm sad that I have to leave soon.  As I go about my daily life, it strikes me, this may be the last time I'll be here or the last time I'll be doing this.  Definitely it will be hard to say goodbye to all the people I've met here from around the world. 

I'm scared to go home too.  What use to be normal will probably feel weird to me.  People will be different - I'll be different.  I'll have to adjust all over again.  I've been putting off purchasing a box to send my things home (through mail).  By going and buying that box its like saying to myself, that yes its true I have to leave.  I don't want to think about packing up everything here, putting it into boxes, and heading home.  Its exhausting and makes me feel bittersweet. 

I feel like there is so much I haven't done, so much I haven't seen - even within the city of Maastricht.  And there's barely any time to do all those things.  For awhile I took for granted what I had here and I forgot about experiencing things, instead withdrawing into myself.  Now that time is so short, I'm starting to realize all the things that I could have done. 

Bah - enough of this self pity.  I have a paper to write!

0 comments: