Monday, September 1, 2008

Cell Phone

I ended up getting my cell phone unlocked at an electronics store in Richmond at a reasonable price. Because I was picked up by the ESN (Erasmus Student Network) at the train station, they gave me a SIM card from Ortel Mobile with 2 euros credit. I used it for a week and then I found that the rates were really high compared to other prepaid SIM cards.

In the end I chose Lyca Mobile because they had the lowest rates. 18 cents per minute calling within the Netherlands and 9 cent per text. Its 12 cents to call home and 9 cents as well to text to Canada. Its only when you leave the Netherlands it gets pretty expensive. When you first buy the card, you can register it to get additional free credits. I did that, but my credit never came (but I think I may have entered the address wrong so its probably my fault).

Another alternative with similar rates is Lebara Mobile. I also heard that T-Mobile had pretty good rates too.

0 comments: