Friday, September 5, 2008

Market Day!

On Wednesday and Fridays, the Centrum is turned into a market with stalls selling everything from fresh groceries to fabrics to perfume. Apparently, the market on Wednesday is famous for its cloth and fabrics and the Friday market is known for its fish. My first day here, I had stumbled upon the market as it was being taken down. This time I headed out earlier and was able to wander around and see what was being offered.

There were tons of people walking up and down the stalls. On the outside of the square, were the food and produce vendors (meat, cheese, baked stuff, fruits & veggies, and hot food). On the inside, there were stalls for everything else, such as fabrics, card making supplies and clothing.


The inner stalls

Prices are pretty reasonable. One thing that stuck out in my mind was the price of the flowers. For a bouquet of roses it only costs 5 Euros (approx $8CAD), but if you got those roses in Canada, it would be super expensive.

Veggies galore! Super entertaining group and really decent prices!

The produce is fresh and definitely cheaper than going to the grocery store (and the market environment is fun too). I ended up getting some oranges (they're HUGE) and some cookies from the bakery. I think next time I'll get something from one of the meat stalls... First I'll have to figure out what "chicken thighs" is in Dutch...

Mmmmm freshly baked goods! Smelled like heaven =)

0 comments: