Friday, October 10, 2008

10.05.08 Germany Day III

On our final day in Germany, we started our trip back to Maastricht early with a 3 hour train ride to Düsseldorf.  Our main purpose in Düsseldorf was to try Schweinshaxe also known as Eisbein (or pork knuckles in English).  Someone had recommended a place that was good so we went in search of it. 

Slow cooking

We ended up ordering two different types of pork.  I got one that was more tender.  I think it was boiled.  It comes with sauerkraut and I ordered a side of potatoes to go with it so I wasn't just eating pure meat.  The potatoes were incredibly smooth and the pork was really tender.  Mmm I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

The others ordered another version, one that has a crispier skin.  Their version tasted like Chinese roast pork (Siew Yoke) that you get from a Chinese BBQ place.

The portion was way too much for me.  I could only finish about half, but I asked if I could pack it and I brought it back with me to Maastricht and ate it the next day =)

We wandered around a bit in Düsseldorf, but there wasn't too much to see.  We looked at the Rhine river and then walked up the biggest shopping street in Düsseldorf. 

Our original plan was to go to Köln and see the cathedral, but as soon as we got on the train to leave Düsseldorf it started pouring and we decided not to stop.  We were all exhausted anyways.  This was an interesting trip into Germany.  Traveling through the countryside of Germany, with its hills, green fields and farms here and there, I could almost will myself to be back at home.  Very different compared to the flatness that is the Netherlands.  We spent a lot of time on a train traveling from place to place, but we also saw a lot of the country and smaller aspects of Germany not normally seen. 

 

For more pictures, click here.

0 comments: