Thursday, October 30, 2008

More info about Austria

B&B's in Salzburg:
Am Moos
Pension Jahn
This is where I stayed, owned by a Taiwanese family, they were really helpful in planning our day and pointing us in the right direction.  While the hostel is a bit far from the main area of Salzburg, it is close enough to walk.  Breakfast is included as well.

 

Hostels in Wien:
Wombat's
I would highly recommend "the Lounge" over "the Base".  I stayed in both as the Lounge one was booked up.  The Base was in a older building and was really far away from the main street.  At night it was a bit sketchy trying to get to the hostel.  They also have hostels in other cities, but I didn't try them.
Homestay
My travel partner and I had originally wanted to stay here the duration of our visit to Wien, but they were booked.  Essentially its a room in their apartment, but everything was really clean and affordable.  I stayed there one night by myself for 25euro - I had the whole room to myself and didn't have to pay for the other (lack of) occupants.  If I go back to Wien for an extended stay I would probably stay here again.   While they speak English, knowing Mandarin is helpful.

 

Wien Info:
Wien Tourism Info
Wien Metro

When I was in Wien I opted for the Vienna card.  While the savings with the card weren't that great, I more than made up for the cost of the card by traveling on their public transportation.  I got it in the airport and started using it right away.  The card is valid for 3 days.

In Salzburg, there is a similar card, but we didn't get it.  It was more expensive than the Vienna one and didn't offer as many perks.  Also, I was only there for day...

0 comments: