Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Canadian Thanksgiving – Dutch Style

This past weekend I decided to make Thanksgiving dinner with a chicken instead of a Turkey.  People don’t eat Turkey here and it can’t be found in the grocery store.  I was making dinner with some help from a couple others.  There were 6 people eating dinner: 2 from Taiwan, 2 from Poland, another from Turkey and me!

One of my friends had a roommate with a largish toaster oven and I was able to roast a chicken.  I’ve never roasted a chicken and I was super scared.  In the end it turned out pretty good.  It was slightly burnt on the top and the stuffing was falling out, but the chicken turned out pretty tasty.  Definitely proud of myself =)  We also made orange glazed carrots, candied yams, corn, stuffing, gravy and some veggies and dip.  The only true disaster were the orange glazed carrots, but the girls from Taiwan really liked it. 

Turkey Roasting ^^

The full menu

Apple Tart (no pie)

It was really good meal and I’ve already finished my leftovers.  All my dinner guests have never had Thanksgiving dinner before (not that this was a true Thanksgiving dinner).  They knew of the concept of Thanksgiving, but didn’t know what it meant.  So it was pretty cool.

0 comments: