Sunday, October 19, 2008

Did You Know?

Did you know that Euros are different from the various countries?  A number of different countries produce the Euro coins and bills.  For the longest time I never noticed.  There are 19 countries that produce coins: Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City.

Currently in my wallet, I have coins from Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands as well as coins from Ireland, Spain and France.  Each denomination has its own designs too.  Check out what I have: 

Resized1 

The picture didn’t turn out all that great.  You can’t see all the details of the coins, but you get the general idea.  There are websites out there dedicated to the different types of coins produced.  People collect the various ones too.  I’m going to start collecting some of the smaller denomination of coins =)  Lets see how many countries I will get.

 

Check out more information and pictures here (European Central Bank Site) and here (collection site).

2 comments:

Agent Grey Bunny said...

did you write on your desk :O

do they come in denominations like Canadian coins? In Nepal, everything was rounded up to the nearest Rupee, even though they have fractional coins (but rarely came across them)

Unknown said...

yup i drew on my desk ^_~ nahh I have a tablet, so I wrote on my computer ^^

The coins come in 1, 2, 5, 20, and 50 cents and 1 and 2 euro coins. In the Netherlands they don't have 1 and 2 cent coins, instead rounding up to the nearest 5 cent. Most of the other euro using countries use the 1 and 2 cent coins though...