Monday, June 9, 2008

Residence Permit

I received an email from the Visa Office at UM telling me about the process of applying for a permit. Canadians are allowed to be in the Netherlands for 3 months without one, but any longer, it is a requirement. As I'll be there for 4 months, their office is offering their assistance in the application process. The document they sent wasn't all that clear and was very difficult to understand. It seems to be a long and complicated process.

Past exchange students have recommended not getting a permit because a) its expensive (433 Euros or about $685 CAD - not cheap), b) no one requested to see it and c) some went on their exchange without it and did not get caught. I've decided to get it just in case. My parents feel a lot better knowing that I won't be an illegal alien and subject to fines after the first three months. I feel more comfortable knowing that nothing can happen as a result of a lack of a permit. Some past exchange students have done it and no one has gotten caught, but its really up to how each person feels I guess... I'm just not willing to chance it.

They give you a bunch of options, but essentially they want proof that you have the necessary funds to support yourself during your stay in the Netherlands. The easiest way and what they recommend is to wire transfer money into their account. In addition to the permit fee, I'm suppose to wire 775 Euros per month or 3100 Euros total for the four months. Thats about $4900 CAD... Thats a lot of money all at once... I dunno - I'm talking to my parents about it and trying to figure out the best way to do this. So complicated.

0 comments: