Sunday, June 1, 2008

Class Registration Info

I got my registration information yesterday. Another long set of numbers to memorize >.<"

The registration process is a bit confusing. I couldn't find the class course description for the longest time; I could only find the one for the previous yearbut I eventually found the link. They had given us pretty explicit details on how to register, but I was still pretty confused. The whole system is different.

I have from June 1 to Jun 20 to register for my Block 1 courses. How the semester works at UM is really different from UVic. Their teaching system is called the Problem Based Learning System where the students are really the teachers. Classes take place in smaller tutorial groups with around 8 - 12 students and a tutor (leader) in each group instead of the traditional lecture. From what I heard from previous students, each person in the class is responsible for leading at least one class. Its going to be a lot of work and I'm not that big a fan of talking in class - I'll have to get over that pretty fast though to do well. So because of this block system and intense amount of time put into preparing (lots and lots of reading) the semester is split into two blocks with two classes in each.

For UVic, I need 5 courses, which means unless I take Dutch I will have to write an extra paper. Previous exchanger participants advised against taking Dutch classes - they said it was super difficult and had no practical application as everyone in the Netherlands spoke English.

I'm not too sure what classes I'm going to take yet, but European Business is a required course by UVic and that one is in Block 1. I'll have to figure things out pretty soon though...

0 comments: